Saturday, August 13, 2016

I sought my brother, And I found all three.

Listening to an interview of Gregory Allan Williams on NPR the other day. He is not an actor of whom I have been aware but he sounded a pleasant and intelligent fellow. One striking thing in the interview was his lack of reluctance to refer to his Christianity which is often otherwise frowned upon in the media.

He mentioned in passing a striking quote which I enjoyed. I didn't catch the attribution.
I sought my soul, But my soul I could not see.
I sought my God, But my God eluded me.
I sought my brother, And I found all three.
Searching around it appears that it is a paraphrase of an original that is attributed to William Blake. However, I cannot find that in Blake quotes.

It appears from Bartleby, that the actual quote is somewhat different and is by Ernest Crosby.
No one could tell me where my Soul might be.
I searched for God, but God eluded me.
I sought my Brother out, and found all three.
No insult to Crosby but I prefer the vernacular version I heard from Williams.

1 comment:

  1. I have found it here: An American Antology (1787-1900) by Edmund Clarence Stedman (ed.). p. 621: Ernest Crosby: "the search - No one could tell me where my Soul might be. I searched for God, but God eluded me. I sought my Brother out, and found all three".

    ReplyDelete